Student Life

Work Permit

Work Permit Application Procedure Permitted Working Hours Permitted Work Types

Under a Student Residence Status, exchange students are not allowed to be employed. However, they may engage in part-time work as long as the work does not interfere with their studies. A Student Residence Status holder who would like to engage in part-time work should obtain permission from the Minister of Justice in advance (Article 19 of the Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act).
Those who engage in part-time work without permission may be subject to punishment including deportation. Doing prohibited types of work and working more than the legally permitted hours could also result in deportation.

Due to the need felt by KGU for students to get properly accustomed to student life in Japan, KGU require students to wait two months before doing any part-time work.

Work Permit Application Procedure

The required documents to apply to do part-time work are as follows:

In principle, a permit will be issued on the same day . It may, however, be issued at a later date.

Exchange students who are working part-time should inform the CIEC office and hand in the Part-time Work Notification Form with details about their work place and a copy of their Residence Card (front and back).
Exchange students employed by the university as Teaching Assistants do not need to obtain permission to work.

Permitted Working Hours

Student Residence Status holders can work up to 28 hours per week.
Student Residence Status holders can work up to 8 hours per day during the following vacation periods.

2019 Summer Vacation

August 7 to September 19

2019/20 Winter Vacation

Decenber 24 to January 5

2020 Spring Vacation

February 15 to March 31
Winter Intensive Period is excluded

Exchange Students are not allowed to work after the completion of their program.

Permitted Work Types

There have recently been cases of Student Residence Status holders being tricked into engaging in illegal part-time work and eventually being arrested. Please contact the CIEC Office if you are wondering whether a part-time job you are considering applying for is appropriate for a student visa holder or not.
Prohibited types of work examples:

  • adult entertainment establishments
  • bars
  • cabarets
  • pachinko parlors
  • mah-jongg parlors

Even within the aforementioned hours, Student Residence Status holders are not allowed to work in the adult entertainment service sector such as a hostess bar or cabaret, where an attendant serves customers at their table, or at a gambling establishment, e.g. a pachinko or game parlor. They are also not allowed to engage even in washing dishes or cleaning at such places.